Saturday, September 24, 2005

shophouselet


Who lives here? Really, I would like to meet the person. This is some kind of architecture freak rarely seen in Singapore. It is as tjhough the two shophouses on the ends (obviously constructed seperately) started growing towards each other to fill up the void between them, and in the process creating this amalgamated hybrid of the parent shophouses. Although it is reasonable to think that it is probably connected on the inside to green one on the left, the seperate doorway suggests that it was or still is autonomous from the shophouses on both sides. An Autonomous Shophouse , Kheng Soon, you might want to come and take a look.

The shophouselet can be found along Niven Road. I chanced upon it yesterday when I was exploring the Mount Sophia area while waiting for my prints to come out at Peace Centre. Before this, the whole area just did not exist in my mental construction of Singapore. The notion of exploring the area came to me because Selegie Complex fronting Selegie Road was demolished and the whole area behind theComplex became visible from the main road and I found it intriguing that a whole district of shophouses has always been lurking there and unknown to me. It's incredible that despite the city centre being so small, there are still places that I have no idea of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home