Sunday, July 03, 2005

double wall glass


Was flying pass Tangs' basement yesterday on my way to cathcing a bus to Tanjong Rhu, something caught my eye. It was a Bodum product(if you are not familiar, Bodum make great glassware) packed in a black box. I realized that it might be the double-walled glass which I had regretted not buying when I was in Copenhagen, and had searched in vain for since I came back to Singapore. And why did the black packaging tip me off, you might ask. Well, Bodum usually packs their products in white boxes and for some reason, they decided that this range of glassware should have a packaging with a black coloured base.

Designed by Masato Yamamoto in collaboration with Bodum Design Group,the glass features a double wall construction (not a good word to use since the glass is hand blown in one piece) which reduces heat transfer creating an air space between the contents and the surroundings, much like the common thermosflask that we have.This means your coffee remains hot for a longer time or you can take a longer time to enjoy your ice-cold cola. It also reduces the need for a handle, as heat does not travel fast through the heat resistant borosilicate glass (which is also known as Pyrex and commonly used to make test tubes)to the external surface. This allows the hand to hold the glass without feeling the heat of the hot liquid within. It seems such a simple and obvious idea that I wonder why it took so long for someone to make it.

What I didn't like about the glass was that you have to buy it in pairs (damn those businessmen!). But I bought it anyway, Didn't want to miss the chance and regret a second time. Gave my mum the other one for her to drink tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home