Sunday, June 12, 2005

Jewel Box at Mount Faber


It has just been announced that the cablecar station at Mount Faber will be refurbished and be renamed the Jewel Box (why?!!). I really can't remember the last time I've been there, probably more than 15 years ago, and I can't really recall what the building currently looks like. But it's about time they redo the whole place. The last and possibly only major news about the Singapore cable car was in 1983 when an oil rig mounted on a ship snagged the cable and causing 2 cable cars to plunge into the sea. Although the new building is not likely to make me want to take a ride on the cable car in the forseeable future, I'm somewhat glad that it means that the cable car service is not going the way of the Sentosa ferry (death by euthanasia).


I'm actually not too fond of the overall design but this rendering looks quite promising. Imagine entering or leaving the station through a tunnel with rays of light piercing through, the walls shimmering like a piece of jewellery. A befitting space to the new name of the station. However, renderings always lie and things do not always work out as intended. I hope they can make this happen.


This is Toyo Ito's Tod's store in Tokyo. Coincidence? maybe not.

More about the cable car station here.
A little about the innovative Tod's building here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home